West End Doula

Thoughts from the heart and mind of a new doula.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Random snippets

I'm tired, and I can't find the energy to write about any of this in detail, so you're just getting the bullet points. Sorry. :)
  • Does anyone have a good pattern for a knitted breast or placenta, for educational purposes? I found a great pattern for a knitted uterus, but I'm coming up short on the others.
  • Can anyone recommend any good teen pregnancy resources that aren't focused on preventing the pregnancy in the first place?
  • Speaking of pregnant teens: I'm totally blown away by the girls in the prenatal group I'm observing. And their partners, too. They're so brave, these kids, way braver than I ever remember being.
  • To certify, or not to certify, and who with? There are as many opinions on this as there are doulas, but I'd love to hear from my small-but-wonderful readership on this issue. Right now, I'm leaning towards certifying with DONA, but I may change my mind about that. To be honest, I'm also looking at CAPPA because they offer an advanced doula certification for working with teen moms.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    What about the Boobie Scarf from the Breast Cancer Awareness issue of knitty?

    http://www.marblehead.net/amy/knittyF04surp.pdf

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Dynamic Doula said…

    I have chosen Birthing From Within... they have a program that seems arduous and worth calling myself 'certified'... whereas the other orgs have a pretty standard cert program. Plus those CAPPA gals and I just do not get along. ;)

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Devon said…

    I meant for teaching purposes, kate. The scarf is pretty and I've planned on making one for ages (once my shoulder heals!) but I need an educational prop, not a fashion accessory. :)

    Thanks for the input, kristina. I'll have a look at Birthing From Within, but I think I'm going to stick with DONA.. I have invested several hundred with them so far, so I should probably follow through.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Dynamic Doula said…

    Where is this knitted uterus pattern you speak of? :)

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Lauren said…

    I found my way to your site awhile ago... anyway, I'm a 25 year old doula, too, and I'm certifying through CAPPA for labor doula and DONA for post partum... I think you can get cross-certified with CAPPA later on if you want to do some of their advanced training - there are ways they reciprocate with DONA.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home