West End Doula

Thoughts from the heart and mind of a new doula.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Queer Birth Experiences

As a queer woman who is crazy about birth, I am particularily interested in queer birth. It's a hope of mine that I will be able to find a doula to mentor me that does queer births and is interested in them. I've put out some feelers in the community, and I'm hoping something will pan out.

I met a woman yesterday who is writing her Master's thesis on queer birth experiences, and it was absolutely fascinating to talk to her and find out what her plans are for her research and such.

I wish there were more resources on this topic, but there just aren't. Do a Google search for queer birth and you'll find a whole lot of nothing. This is going to be something I'm going to have to dig my heels in on, really hard.

I can't wait.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger doulicia said…

    It's not exactly queer birth, but are you familiar with "Baby Steps: How Lesbian Alternative Insemination Is Changing the World," by Amy Agigian? It's on my "to read" list.

    The births will come along.

    I'm happy to find another on-line doula!

     
  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Dynamic Doula said…

    I ditto Doulicia (who is quickly becoming required reading among the doula community who read blogs!)... you will find the way, you have 'built it' and they will come!

    My business partner and I did a survey of doulas and found out some interesting things: most doulas get their business from word of mouth. And almost all of them who have spent money on print advertising (phone books, newsletters, etc) have found it to be a sad waste of precious funds. So if you can connect with the birth folks in your community, do so! I know a doula here in Washington who is orginally from BC who might know some folks up there you can connect with. Email me - doula@dynamicdoula.com - and I'll email you her email addy so you can connect. :) Blessings!

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Jesus said…

    Hi Devon I’ve been looking for related blogs and I came across yours on Queer Birth Experiences during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. You are most welcome to come and visit me at . I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home