West End Doula

Thoughts from the heart and mind of a new doula.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Midterms and Frustrations

As my anatomy and physiology midterm approaches rapidly (it's on Wednesday evening) I'm finding myself dreaming about ligaments and pelvic floor muscles and chorionic villi. It's really helpful that we made chorionic villi out of red clay at our last class. We created a veritable forest of the little broccoli shaped wonders, onto to which our instructor stuck clay blood vessels and placental septums and a plastic plate that was supposed to be the myometrium. It was actually incredibly hilarious, because the villi started drooping and squishing together as she was talking, and it was the end of the day, so we were all feeling a little loopy.

I'm amazed at myself for actually being able to learn all of this stuff. I actually know where my superior anterior iliac spines are. In fact, I'm rubbing them right now.

I'm doing a presentation for my class to a group of my friends on breast anatomy in the next few weeks, and although it didn't seem to me to be as interesting a topic as, say, PMS, or maybe menstrual cycle physiology, or positions in labour, or the placenta, or any number of other topics, I'm starting to warm up to the idea. I'm sure it will be exciting to teach a group of women some things they didn't know about their bodies.

I am getting frustrated, however, with how long it takes to get anywhere in the birthing community in Vancouver. I mean, I'm sure that if I wasn't in 6 classes and doing volunteer work, I'd have more time to seek out a mentor and doula volunteer experience, but so far, I've just run into brick walls. One of the women from my doula training has recently found herself a job working as a doula for a pregnancy program in the city, and I'm kicking myself for not being aggressive enough to inquire about whether or not they needed doulas. I assumed that my lack of experience and their lack of visible job postings meant that I probably would be better off focusing my energy elsewhere. I was wrong, and that bothers me.

I think I'm going to start cold calling all the registered doulas in my area, to see if I can find someone to mentor me. The thought terrifies me (I'm just not very good at cold calling) but I'm itching to get started on this path, and there doesn't seem to be any other way, other than extensive networking, which I don't have time for right now. I will have time in a few months, but a few months isn't now.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    Cold calling is scary as all hell, but you'd be surprised how rewarding it can be in the end. This is how I view it: when I cold call, I am opening up entirely new worlds of people who may never have crossed my path before. Whether that gives me what I want or something I never imagined, it will bring something new into my life.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Devon said…

    Cold calling has always struck me as being slimey (a la telemarketing or outbound sales), which is why I've never been good at it. I just have to swallow that feeling of ickiness to do it.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    as someone who receives cold calls and has to deal with them... most of them don't bug me. The ones that do are, say, the ones who try to pull guilt trips when I say "I'm sorry, we're not interested at this time." Or those who aren't willing to use a different form of communication (we prefer email -- this way, I can filter out the crap and only send the cool looking stuff along to my boss.)

    Or, like the call I got half an hour ago, forget that they already cold called me last week. If you're going to cold call someone, for christs sake, keep notes on who you've already called! Sheesh. Not winning any love here. :)

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Anonymous leads said…

    I’ve been researching the subject leads and found your site to be resourceful. Although it may not be supporting my Midterms and Frustrations project, it certainly does provide a fine service and got my attention while I was searching for leads related information. With a fine site like this one and belonging to Devon, I’m sure you’ll achieve your goals. Thanks for reading this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home