West End Doula

Thoughts from the heart and mind of a new doula.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Marketing

The part about this whole journey that scares me the most isn't having a woman put her trust in me, or the possibility of an unexpected outcome at a birth that ends in tragedy, or any number of other scary thoughts. It's the marketing.

Before my training, I was absolutely baffled at how I was going to find clients. Me, a childless bald 25 year old woman, with no contacts in the birth community. How would I find pregnant women who need a doula? Should I stop them on the street?

The course taught me a bit, and I'm not quite so nervous now. Here's my current plan for getting clients and getting my name out there:

- A website, which is ready to go and will be uploaded later this month.
- Doula Services Association membership, which will generate references for both volunteer and paid clients.
- DONA membership. I was asked, upon signing up, if I wanted referrals from them. I said yes, even though I have no idea if this will generate any useful leads.
- Business cards. I'm going to design them later this month and have a small run printed up at Staples or Kinkos or something.
- Word of mouth. Friends and family are going to help me with this.

I have a few other minor ideas on top of these ones, but these seem to be the ones with the most promise. We'll see how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home