West End Doula

Thoughts from the heart and mind of a new doula.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Becoming a Doula

First of all, a bit about me.

I'm a 25 year old woman with a shaved head and a big heart. I have always been fascinated with babies and pregnancy. My mother gave birth to my brother when I was nearly 10 years old, and helping raise him was one of the biggest honours of my life. I became a babysitter at 11, and was a full-time nanny a few years later.

This past year, my best friend gave birth to her first child, a beautiful baby girl. I had the privilege of being with her through her pregnancy and I continue to spend as much time as schedules allow with her and her daughter. Seeing the pregnancy and birth process inspired me to look into becoming a part of birth in other people's lives. It is how I discovered that I am a doula.

...

I have just completed my birth doula training at Douglas College, under the amazing tutelage of Jalana Grant and Kathleen Lindstrom.

The training was, in a word, amazing. The room was set up in a typical seminar layout, and it looked like any other college class aside from the fact that there were pretty scarves draped over the television and the room was full of women of all shapes and stories.

Keeping confidentiality in mind, I won't discuss any of their stories, but these women are certainly amazing. I am honoured to have spent the past two days with them.

We went on a journey, covering all the basics of supporting a woman through labour as well as our own birth stories and the births of other women. We watched videos of waterbirths in the Black Sea, and of a homebirth in Mexico. We gave each other massages and listened as our stories were shared. In the end, when we were standing in a circle crying together while saying goodbye, we'd formed a bond. One that I'm sure will last for a long time.

...

This morning I mailed in my membership forms to the Doula Services Association and became a member of Doulas of North America. I'm going to begin my birth doula certification as soon as I get the package.

I am so thrilled to have found something that calls me as strongly as this work does. My next step is going to be to find a mentor in the downtown area. I can't wait.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats, Devon -- It sounds like you've really found your calling.

    ...NetChick (www.netchick.ca)

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are one of the most amamzing people I know. You take something and you run with it. I am so honoured to know you.

    -Orchid

     

Post a Comment

<< Home